[Dixielandjazz] Play The Melody!

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 29 14:40:58 PDT 2011

YES! Play the straight melody at least once.

Variations on a theme are a time honored technique of the best (as in Bach
and Mozart) musicians, but how can the usual listener know what the theme is
unless you state it first? And even worse (from the view of some
"musicians"), how can the listener judge the quality of the variations
without first hearing the theme?

Yes, if you call "Avalon" or "At A Georgia Camp Meeting" (gotcha with that
one, didn't I?) the New Orleans jazz fan will have the basic melody running
through his head before you blow the first note, but we are a dying breed.
To the majority of today's audiences the basic theme will be as fresh as any
variation, so play it, even sing a second run through if it has lyrics, most
audiences today are used to songs rather than straight instrumentals.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.