[Dixielandjazz] Shipping instruments

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Aug 29 09:07:48 PDT 2011

>"However, if (an instrument) is formally entering the country, being
shipped for example, then it must be declared. It's my understanding that
many musicians choose to ship their instruments for insurance purposes."

Careful on this one!  To ship an instrument to the U.S., you must get a form
from your own customs people in your country where you will be required to
leave a cash deposit based on the value of the instrument.  This deposit is
returned to you once the instrument arrives back in its original country.
This is to guarantee that the shipping is not to be a one-way matter.

I found this out when wishing to ship a trombone slide for repair to the
U.S.  I obviously didn't do it!

Jim