[Dixielandjazz] Traveling to USA with your Guitar

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Mon Aug 29 05:41:09 PDT 2011

Steve Barbone wrote:

>>I do not believe that a musician's guitar, manufactured before the
amendment took effect (May 22, 2008) is at risk coming into the USA
from elsewhere. I think all the muso need do is state in box 10 of the
declaration form, "Musical Instrument to be used in  performance" OR
"Musical instrument returning from performance." And it wouldn't hurt
to add, "musical instrument manufactured prior to 2008" if one is
playing an antique. And I would guess that a guitar made after 2009
would not be subject to seizure if box 10 is filled out regarding it
being an instrument used in performance. The Lacey Act is not aimed at
musicians who travel with their guitars or other wooden instruments<<

This is my take on this:

To contradict your statement Steve about the authorities view of entering
with instruments of wood and ivory here is the official statement from the
U.S. Customs and Border Protection WEB site;
>>Please be aware that many older, collectable instruments have components
whose entry is restricted or prohibited under endangered species treaties,
such as pianos with ivory keys or wood instruments made with rare wood.
Contact the Fish and Wildlife Service at (703) 358-2093 for more information
about this issue.<<

If Gibson people have messed up the clearance of the imported woods they
have to stand up for the consequences. But I guess most
of us do not bother to much about that. What is worrying is about entering
US or cross international borders with your own performance instruments with
today endangered classified material.

I can´t for my life today understand how I.E a German or Russian symphony
orchestra can enter for a tour in US without having clear rules for what
they are allowed to bring in and reenter. If the strict rules are applied as
per the above writing, it should in practice be impossible to have any
cultural exchange within the music branch. That is completely opposite to
what is stated in the State Department guidelines for cultural exchange. It
says that the officials, without restrictions, should do their outmost to
help and ease any cultural exchange between countries. Check the visa rules
for yourself.

The consequences for those of you who are resident in US and if you do not
declare the goods properly will be fines and perhaps loss of the instrument.
But for us poor aliens you have to add loss of future entrance to US. By
that we are classified to be in the same league as criminals or terrorists.

Because of that I have a question about this terrible stupid issue. Perhaps
somebody on the list can help me out. If I for instance  bring to US my
National Tricone tenor guitar, 1928, with a rosewood neck and ivory peg
nuts, can I really enter with this instrument without any risk of
consequences. After all it is old and manufactured long before any
CITES/LACEY agreements. If so, how do I document the age of the instrument?
I have Brozman´s book about the history of the National Instruments were my
guitar is listed, but is that enough? Or will a document from a reputed
instrument dealer be enough? Or do I need to have it signed by
Obama!!!!!!!!!

To once for all get rid of this uncertainties I should love to have a firm
written policy statement from the concerned US authorities, not just general
rules like the above. And remember this issue also concerns residents in US
when reentering US, bringing their own instruments, for instance from
Canada!

Ulf Jagfors, who really want to go to the N.O Trad Jazz Camp 2012, but only
with my own instruments.