[Dixielandjazz] Joe Tarto's Tuba

John Gill smokewagon at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 17:43:28 PDT 2011

Interesting thoughts on the tuba. Joe Tarto told me personally that the tall tuba was designed to be heard over the top of the band in an orchestra pit situation, and not necesarily designed to facilitate switching from bass to tuba.It was designed for a specific show, "Good News" I think, and Red Nichols was the music director. Joe also told me that back in the day you had to pretty much double on bass and tuba to get work. I'll ask Brian Nalepka who actually owns Joe's tall tuba and check my facts.
Regards
John Gill