[Dixielandjazz] Jazz + Photography = Now

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 12:31:24 PDT 2011

DJML:

This is a blog post by our friend William Carter, whom you may know if
you live in the Bay Area. Bill plays from time to time at the Cafe
Borrone and other venues. He is a world-renown photographer and author
of 5 books of his photographs and text, one of which is "Preservation
Hall."

"In your lifetime, as in mine, both jazz and photography have
gradually won acceptance as fine arts. Having been intimately involved
with both, I see underlying similarities between these two “modern”
forms.

"The special energy of the fleeting moment is as crucial to
photography as it is to jazz. Perhaps Zen painting or action painting
should be included. But any jazzman,  photographer, or Zen master
would add that preparing for that moment is crucial. Any advocate of
the “cutting edge” wanting to tear down old establishment walls can
proclaim the supremacy of the Now. Expressing that moment meaningfully
— artistically — is something else.

"The two upstart arts share another similarity: technology has been
key to their histories."

View the entire blogpost along with audio and a great shot of Louis
Armstrong at Cornell Univeristy here: http://t.co/joPTE62

mopo

--
http://about.me/donmopsick