[Dixielandjazz] Memorial service for Howard Steffens:RIP Banjo Player

kaye Wade kaye at kayewade.com
Fri Aug 26 17:52:38 PDT 2011

Howard was an original member of the San Fernando Valley Banjo Band & Jazzn' Banjos in The Valley in Los Angeles since 1960.  He had lots of friends spread far & wide.

I just got this. No wonder Howard did not get back to me.  He died at home with cancer. Didn't tell anyone but his neighbor until last week before he died. Even Stevenn didn't really know how sick he was.
Please pass this on if you know anyone else who wants to know.

Dear members of Jazz'n Banjos:

I REGRET TO INFORM YOU OF THE PASSING OF OUR DEAR
FRIEND HOWARD STEFFENS ON JULY 15, 2011.

HIS MEMORIAL SERVICE IS ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3,
2011 AT 11:00 A.M., AT J. T. OSWALD MORTUARY, 1001 N., McCLAY AVE, SAN FERNANDO,
CA 91340.  818-361-6283.

I have know Howard for almost 50 years, since we
met at Glendale College.  We spent many enjoyable times hiking,
camping, canoeing or just visiting at our homes.  His musical group meant a
lot to him and he often spoke of his participation playing his
banjo.

I have only a few contact names and addresses for
Jazz'n Banjos members.  Please let the other members know of the date and
time for the memorial service.  Persons attending will be given the
opportunity to relate an interesting event involving Howard.

If you have questions please respond to this email
or call me at 818-242-7321.

Stephen Webber