[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Festival Name Change

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Aug 23 13:48:37 PDT 2011

When forwarding any email, use  "Netiquette." Delete all names, email addresses,
forwarding tags, etc. Just forward the content.

For Immediate Release                                                                      Media Contact: Mike Testa

August 23, 2011                                                                                                        (916) 919-3422

                                                                                                        mtesta at cityofsacramento.org

New Name to Reflect Evolution of Sacramento's Jazz Festival

One of Northern California's longest running and most successful music festivals is changing its name. Once known as The Dixieland Jazz Jubilee and more recently as The Sacramento Jazz Festival, the venerable event will be known simply as The Sacramento Music Festival when the 39th edition kicks off Memorial Day Weekend in May of 2012.

The name change reflects how the event has evolved over the years into a festival featuring many more musical styles than just jazz. It also indicates a sincere effort to broaden the appeal of the four day event by shifting some of the focus to other popular forms of American music such as Blues, Rock 'n Roll, Country, Rhythm and Blues, and Zydeco.

While the Sacramento Music Festival will still be organized and presented by the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society, members of the organization realize that to continue to grow the event's popularity, other forms of popular music are vitally important. By featuring bands better known by the mainstream public, the festival will attract new demographics while allowing the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society to continue their mission of re-introducing traditional jazz into schools. Not only will increased ticket sales present more opportunities to impact schools' musical curriculums, a younger audience enticed to the festival by more mainstream music will be exposed to a variety of musical genres including traditional jazz.

"The roots of traditional jazz have had a tremendous impact on modern music," said Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society Executive Director, Vivian Abraham. "As we move forward, the Sacramento Music Festival will be honoring the past and celebrating newer musical trends as well. We expect nothing less than The Festival to continue as one of the nation's best all-around music celebrations."

- Continued -

Page 2

            With its new name intact, The Sacramento Music Festival's 2012 edition will, as always, be primarily staged in Old Sacramento. The 2011 event featured over 400 performances in 20 venues by over 70 bands. Next year's festival will be similar in size and scope.

            "Our hope is to be able to begin to book nationally known groups from the more mainstream genres like Rock and Country," says Mike Testa of the Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau, a partner in presenting The Sacramento Music Festival. "We have one of the most unique settings in the country in Old Sacramento and the more we can branch out and attract new people to the event, the better for everyone."

            Updates on the 2012 Sacramento Music Festival will be posted throughout the year at www.SacMusicFest.com as well as via Facebook and Twitter. Sponsorship information may be obtained by contacting The Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society at (916) 372-5277.

# # # # #

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

I joined a health club last year, spent about 250 bucks.
Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to go there!