[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Violinists

anichols at gis.net anichols at gis.net
Mon Aug 22 21:59:11 PDT 2011

Sorry Bob for not signing my message.

My curse isn't a very pleasant one to have and perhaps I shouldn't
have singled out Jonathan except to hope that it's constructive
criticism.
I wish him the best.

I live in the Boston area, a great place for OKOM. Yes, Joe Venuti
was a super fiddler and his work with Tony Romano, who was
given Eddie Lang's guitar by Eddie's wife, is fantastic including
Joes playing on all 4 strings of his violin on one piece on their
recording.

Still, when it comes to the violin, the curse of comparison is
always with me and takes from the enjoyment of randomly
listening to that instrument. Maybe therapy would help.

Yes 'copy the best' is something good to follow but there are
ears and there are ears. We all latch on to different things, as
it should be. And between friends we can still remark, "well
he's no Tom Kalishkof" and go on from there.

I'm hoping to hear from others sharing the curse of this
narrow mindedness.

Norman Nichols