[Dixielandjazz] Fiddler

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:08:54 PDT 2011

Yeah, man!
However, I have some Claude Williams recordings on which he doesn't
sound that good, either (and some where he sounds just GREAT!).
Gappelly sounded good even late in life; I don't think I have ever
seen him ply in a weelchair.  But he visited this country several
times, and sounded wonderful.
A funny thing about Grapelly: many years ago I told a friend that I
listened to the Quintette de Hot Club de France as much for Grappelly
as for Django, and he was shocked!  Unfortunately, by the time
Grappelyy was recognized for the genius he sas, my friend had passed
away.  His son, 50 now, has been a regular with our jazz circle for
the last few years.

Has George Washingmachine go a real name?  His wonderful playing turns
up on various Oz recordings.  I looked him up on the web, and that was
the only name given.  Still, it does not sound real.

Of course, there are other quite accomplished jazz violinist.  There's
the Aussie Daniel Weltlinger, the Dutch Tim Kliphuis, the (late)
British johnny van Derrick - the list is endless!

But, if I were to have but one choice, my vote would go to Joe Venuti.
Cheers