[Dixielandjazz] Regina Carter - Jazz Violinist

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:40:20 PDT 2011

> I'd like to ask the list if they are troubled with the curse of having
> a certain expectation from the sound of an instrument, that it takes
> from the enjoyment of listening because the expectation isn't met.

I have not, really.

> I'm a jazz fiddler of sorts and totally cursed by the Stephane Grappelli
> sound in my head.

I am a listener, and I might have heard Joe Venuti before I heard
Grapelly.  Later came Stuff Smith, Svend Asmussen and Eddie South.  I
like the sound of the violin in general.

> I've written Steve before about Jonathan Russell who I think leaves
> much to be desired (I should listen again because he's growing),

I liked all those Jonathan Russell videos; shortcomings -sure, he is
still young, but I was amazed by how he could hold his own with elder
statesmen.

> Regina Carter leaves less to be desired but I'm in heaven listening
> to Ben Powell, and Florin Nicelescu comes close.

Who are they?  I've never heard of them.  Have you heard Tim Kliphuis?

Cheers