[Dixielandjazz] playing for young audience

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 11:05:33 PDT 2011

Dear Robert:

Please continue as long as you like about this subject. Note that I
have removed Bob Ringwald from the addressees. He may not be
interested in this subject matter and certainly has heard it all
before since it has been discussed on the DJML for decades. However, I
and perhaps some others am vitally interested in sharing opinions
about audiences with people who have not heard it all before.

It's kind of like "Old Folks" in general. They have heard it all
before and so do not wish to discuss it, and/or listen to certain
types of jazz. Band leaders like Tito Martino and me (and others) are
always glad to share opinions. And we realize that the DJML is a
living and dying chat list. Of the 600 or so members, the new folks on
the list who have replaced those who have died off, certainly have not
heard all these discussion points before. IMO, those new members
should neither be ignored, nor dismissed with "we've heard all that
before". Basically because some of us old boys on the DJML have heard
most of the subjects discussed on it before. As for me, soon to be 78,
so what?

One thing for sure, the older audience is dying off. Who else but
younger folks will be around to listen and dance to the music? I
personally enjoy sharing opinions with you and urge you to continue as
you see fit since I believe that your opinions are valuable.

I also urge you to join the DJML. No doubt every discussion on it will
not be of interest to you and so I urge you to do what I do. Get it in
digest form and just skip by those discussions that are of no
interest. Takes me only 15 minutes or so to go through each digest and
there are usually 2 or less digests per day.

BTW, we routinely play Original Dixieland One Step for young dancers
and that tune was recorded by the ODJB in 1917 and is probably about
100 years old. They LOVE it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband