[Dixielandjazz] delete if you don't like classics

Tito Martino titomartino at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 23:00:44 PDT 2011

Hi Gary

many thanks for that marvelous Concert link !
It's none less than the outstanding Ciccolini, one of the
first great interpreters of complete Eric Satie  works !

I also got impressed with his apparent lack of emotive reactions.
It's actually a studied style of playing I have remarked in some classical
players, but it's
unfitting for Jazz !  If the word Jazz really means "orgasm" then
 you can't have an emotionless orgasm !  Oh, Yeah!

I am and was hooked on Classics many years before I discovered Jazz,
my first contact with Jazz was  just when entering the Politechnic School
(Electrical Engineering).

Actually I can't understand how someone who loves "classic" Jazz would
dislike Classic Concert Music ! Jelly Roll said that his musical ideas came
 from listening to Concerts in the French Opera, New Orleans.
Many other great Jazz pioneers say the same.

Thanks Gary, I enjoyed greatly the link and wish other listmates will
see/listen to it.

cheers

Tito

--
Tito Martino Jazz Band
www.titomartinojazzband.com.br
titomartino at gmail.com
Gary said:

We've discussed the perceptive faults of Wynton Marsalis not putting
feeling into his playing. Someone said that he is such a good player, he
does what he does without effort, thus the emotion is hidden. I find the
same with this concert. I've listened to it three time already. Watch
out, this viseo is 90 minutes long, but if you like Beethoven, you gotta
listen to this.

This is Aldo Ciccolini on piano (85 years old) with Michiyoshi Inoue
conducting the Ensemble Kanazawa at the Piano Festival in la Roque
d'Antheron playing :
- Beethoven : Concerto for piano & orchestre n?3 in C ut minor opus 37
- Schumann : Concerto for piano & orchestre in A minor opus 54
- Beethoven : Symphony n?7 in A majeur opus 92.

Enjoy
http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Aldo_Ciccolini_Michiyoshi_Inoue_la_Roque_d_Antheron/

All the best, Gary