[Dixielandjazz] CLASSIC JAZZ from vol 104 issue 23

Brian Gail briangail at kinect.co.nz
Wed Aug 17 12:41:38 PDT 2011

Interesting to read about the ageing listener's to classic jazz.   My observation is that students appear not to be taught anything about the
                 older styles of jazz , some of the tutors will not or cannot play it ,you rarely hear it on the TV or radio,and its only when these younger
                 musicians are introduced to it that some become won over .
                 I have a friend who was teaching younger students and he would introduce them to musicians like   Getz   ,Zoot Sims, De Franco,
                 Clark Terry   and Paul Desmond  and they were hooked and wanted to listen to these musicians and others of the earlier era.
                 and while these were not classic  jazz players , they all played a melody line that could be followed  even through their improvisation.
                 So who do we blame for this demise   ,the modern musicians , the tutors  the promoters the radio stations or all of them.
                 You have mentioned  Wynton Marsalis  I loved his classical   playing but wasn't to fazed  with some of his modern   playing, however
                 recently I watched a DVD   of the whole family playing together at a very large venue  and after playing many modern pieces
                 they played  Strutting  With Some  B B Q  and when they finished they got a standing ovation ,so there is hope if we get it out there
                 and  the public hear it it will survive.

              B C GEOGHAN