[Dixielandjazz] Oh Yeah - WWW - Hello Dol,ly

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 13 15:03:58 PDT 2011

>  Ernie Landes <ernlan at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> We don't do "W. W." anymore - one of our regular fans gets up and
> leaves when we do!
>
> I see no reason to limit the "Oh Yeah" thing to that tune and
> "Dolly".? Any of the hundreds of tunes that Louie did would be
> eligible IMHO.? Tonight we'll do it to Basin Street, and maybe later
> to Swing That Music.? Why Not???? The audience loves it!

Of course there is no reason to limit the song choice. It all depends
on the audience. But why all the dislike of WWW?  Seems to come mostly
from the few old farts who are left that think anything Louis
Armstrong did after 1930 or so was trash. <grin>

Why WWW for Oh Yeah? Simply because it was a HUGE HIT. First in
England, that cynical country, where I believe it sold over 500,000
copies shortly after it was recorded.  It was not a hit in the USA
until more than  2 decades later when Robin Williams used it as the
wake up song in "Good Morning Vietnam". But still, it became a hit and
we are wildly cheered when our  black trumpet player sings it.

Face facts folks, it is only a few irrellevent old farts that dislike
WWW. Far better to ignore them, and/or let them get up and leave. IMO
the MAJORITY of people who hear it worldwide apparently love it. And
it is THEY who we should be reaching, and not worrying about the few
remaining elitist fans still alive.

Going a step further, if a jazz musician  cannot say something
meaningful with all the wonderful harmonic structure available in  WWW
he/she should quit playing. And if a fan dislikes it, he/she is
probably listening to lousy musicians and/or bands who haven't the
soul to make it a thing of beauty.

As for Hello Dolly, virtually the same rationale applies. As you old
farts will remember, in 1964 the Armstrong rendition knocked the
Beatles out of the number one ranking on the pop music charts. I think
Dolly was #1 for more than 4 weeks. Do we now dislike it because most
of the people in the world love it? Ah, the curse of being popular.
Once you get poplar critics pan you as Brubeck once said. (paraphrase)

I, for one, am  very proud that my band will continue to play WWW and
Hello Dolly at each "Oh Yeah" concert in  August. We did it last night
at a young peoples bar in Philadelphia. Almost 100% of the audience
was under 30 years old. They loved it. More so I suspect, then if we
did it on Potato Head Blues which would have confused them. <grin >

This month with a few gigs recently added, we will end up reaching
about 5000 different people with WWW, Hello Dolly, and Saints complete
with Oh Yeahs from the audience. If one or two regulars walk out the
hell with them. We neither need nor want regulars like that.

Check my facebook page wall and see who our regulars are. <grin>
(Hint: Young ladies who in turn attract young men)  http://www.facebook.com/steve.barbone

Now I ask you, old farts: "Just what is it that we are doing wrong?"

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband