[Dixielandjazz] Newport Jazz Festival

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 10 06:39:46 PDT 2011

This was a very different festival from those in the early years. Note
Ratliff's conclusion  that casual jazz fans now outnumber the serious
fans. (who he describes as: "Readers of Downbeat, vibraphone freaks,
alternate-take memorizers, musicians of one kind or another.")

Perhaps the days of the "casual" fans are here to stay for a while?
Does that mean me, and me one eyed mate Bill Haesler are a vanishing
breed, or are we simply irrelevant? Bound to happen one day I suppose.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Jazz’s Present Gets Its Chance at Newport

NY TIMES - AUG 8, 2011 - By BEN RATLIFF

NEWPORT, R.I. — Leaving the Newport Jazz Festival on Sunday evening,
hearing Rudresh Mahanthappa and Bunky Green’s bright and brilliant
alto saxophone sounds recede as you walked in the rain toward the
water, you could feel a couple of contradictory things. One: The
Newport Jazz Festival still matters. Two: That was pretty good for the
Newport Jazz Festival.

Oh, there was a minority of serious fans at Fort Adams State Park, on
the harbor. Readers of Downbeat, vibraphone freaks, alternate-take
memorizers, musicians of one kind or another. (Tickets cost $75 at the
gate, but only $15 if you had a current Berklee or New England
Conservatory student ID.) I’m guessing about this, though I am
familiar with the species.

But a more casual species made up a majority: those who might have
been there because the Newport Jazz Festival is a place to go in a
bright T-shirt and a straw hat, a summer tradition in a part of the
country that loves summer traditions. Perhaps, years ago, their
parents or uncles had taken them there. Perhaps they had taken their
parents or uncles. This is not good or bad; it’s just how jazz
audiences are. They’re sentimental. They want to return to things. But
unlike the audience of 1954, the first year of the festival, very few
people in the culture of jazz these days are on the same page. And so
the overriding mood in the audience — declared by festival organizers
to be 7,500 on sunny Saturday and 5,000 on rainy Sunday, though I
don’t quite buy the second number — was one of pleasant distraction.

There were no demigods for the closing hours, to make audiences get
religion: no Wayne Shorter or Keith Jarrett, no famous singer to rally
around. The bassist and singer Esperanza Spalding, who recently won a
surprise Grammy for best new artist, radiated the most star power of
the weekend. (She played gracefully, not her usual tight pop show but
two rambling sets with lots of guests, reaffirming her connection to
the jazz world; afterward she gave advice to schoolchildren
backstage.) The Brubeck Brothers Quartet, with their father, Dave, as
guest — in the end, he didn’t show — were the only direct tie to the
festival’s beginning years.

Instead, the festival organizers did the brave thing, putting their
faith in where jazz is now: they booked a lot of bandleaders in their
20s or 30s. Then they scheduled them awkwardly.

There was an extra mile not taken regarding patterns of taste, or
possible continuities, or momentum. Why put Steve Coleman in the same
time slot as Mr. Green, when Mr. Coleman is one of Mr. Green’s very
few well-known disciples? Why end Day 1 with a duo of Al Di Meola and
Gonzalo Rubalcaba playing glossy guitar-and-piano rhapsodies? Why — if
not just to save money — book Trombone Shorty twice, since his New
Orleans funk-rock band played nearly the same set two days in a row?
(The pianist Hiromi played twice too, perhaps giving music students
what they came for: canned, thundering virtuosity.)

Why not do much more with the natural connections between regional
scenes and individual musicians to create narratives throughout the
day? The good pop festivals can get this sort of thing almost
scientifically right. Newport Jazz didn’t.

It’s in the details, sometimes. I was looking forward to hearing
Miguel Zenón’s new music: versions of songs by 20th-century Puerto
Rican composers reimagined for jazz quartet, with arrangements for 10
woodwinds by Guillermo Klein. The quartet sits on the front line of
sound and rhythm in jazz, and Mr. Klein doesn’t just write adequately
for hire; when he composes something, you want to hear it. But even up
close the woodwinds were mostly inaudible over the louder quartet, so
I heard only half of what I came for.

Mr. Zenón is a brilliant saxophonist and composer, one of the best
working in jazz. He won a MacArthur grant three years ago. And yet in
his two appearances — one with his own group, one in an excellent
three-way saxophone chase with Mr. Coleman and Ravi Coltrane — the
M.C.’s, New England jazz radio D.J.’s, invented several new ways to
mangle his name. The charitable assumption is that they don’t play Mr.
Zenón’s music on their shows. Or maybe they just don’t know who he is.
You want to hold Newport to the highest standards because it has been,
and still could be, something to believe in. (Jazz audiences want
something to believe in.)

And even if it isn’t necessarily the best jazz festival in the world,
a lot of people want it to be good, including the publishing and
broadcasting media. Consider how many albums in a reasonably good jazz
record collection were recorded live at Newport. Then go to NPR’s Web
site, which has been streaming and archiving many of the performances
from this year’s festival, listen to the best ones — Mr. Coleman and
Five Elements; the trumpeter Avishai Cohen’s new group, Triveni; John
Hollenbeck’s 19-piece Large Ensemble — and consider that those could
be in a good jazz record collection too.

Mr. Coleman, the alto saxophonist, played with his current A-list: the
singer Jen Shyu, the trumpeter Jonathan Finlayson, the pianist David
Virelles, the bassist Thomas Morgan and the drummer Tyshawn Sorey.
They were good, sometimes extravagantly so, in five long pieces held
together by moving harmony like weather changes — you felt them down
to your bones — and by Ms. Shyu’s singing, emotional and dramatic,
though it came out in nontraditional scat syllables. Original as the
whole thing was, Ms. Shyu’s connection to Sarah Vaughan shone through,
as did Mr. Coleman’s to Charlie Parker.

Mr. Hollenbeck used voices, in a few different ways: Theo Bleckmann
and Kate McGarry sang together with unusual techniques for most of his
band’s set, changing the natural timbre of their voices or using them
as sound color; several of the band’s soloists improvised with the
same sense of freedom, as if they were singing too.

And Sangam, the trio of the saxophonist Charles Lloyd, the
percussionist Zakir Hussain and the drummer Eric Harland, played and
sang — for Mr. Hussain, there’s sometimes no difference — through a
meditative set of Indian music and free improvisation out on the main
stage on Sunday. It came during a lull in the rain and was one of the
best stretches of the day. For a few minutes, I thought I understood
why the festival once meant so much: no noise in the harbor, the
audience rapt, no condescension or explanation from the stage, a sense
that this moment might be bigger than music.