[Dixielandjazz] Mobile Stomp

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 10 03:52:18 PDT 2011

I've been a fan of this recording for over forty years. Al Morgan was a
wonderful bassist.

This was what Luis Russell brought to New York and it was the great rhythmic
fertiliser.

Jim Robinson's recordings carry something of the same thing, and it's
regrettable that notions of the trumpet trombone and clarinet front line
distracted from the possibilities which can be heard in the Sam Morgan
recordings -- and indeed the serious achievement of the Morgan band and the
other bands recorded in New Orleans --  brightened up my morning listening to
this yet again.