[Dixielandjazz] Mobile Stomp

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 9 22:20:25 PDT 2011

Kent Murdick asked:
> Anyone know when this was written and by whom?  Does it really have anything to do with Mobile, Alabama?  Are there words?.

Dear Kent,
It would seem that, thanks to listmates Louis Lince, Scott Anthony, "Buckeye", Robert Calder and Joe Carbery, you have most of the answers.
However, to tidy up the thread (as I always like to see) here is my contribution.
There were two different tunes recorded in the 1920 using the same name.

Sam Morgan's Jazz Band.
Sam Morgan, Ike Morgan (c) Jim Robinson (tb) Andrew Morgan (cl/ts) Earl Fouche (as) Tink Baptiste (p) Johnny Dave (bj) Sidney Brown (sb) Nolan Williams (d)
New Orleans. 14 April 1927
143977-2    Mobile Stomp    Columbia 14258-D
Composer credit : (Morgan). Which one is anyone's guess, but I suspect it would have been Sam as leader.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIQutjtjtc

New Orleans Nehi Boys.
Ernest "Mike" Michall (cl) Charley Taylor (p) Ishman Bracey (g)
Grafton, Wisconsin. December 1929
L-233-1    Mobile Stomp    Paramount 12980
Composer credit: Ernst-Bracey-Taylor)
I have never heard this recording but, literally, wore out my 78rpm record of the Morgan version when I was a kid in the 1940s.

So far as the composer of "The Waltz You saved For Me" is concerned we were offered two!
Wayne King and Gus Kahn.
The answer is easy.
It was written in 1930 by Wayne King and Emil Flindt, with lyrics by Gus Kahn.
The Wayne King Orchestra recorded it for Victor in November 1930 and it was promoted and used as the band's theme song at the time.
So how could the Morgan band have borrowed it in 1927?
Mmmmmm.
Very kind regards,
Bill