[Dixielandjazz] 2012 Costa Mesa Festival cancelled

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 12:49:59 PDT 2011

THE 12TH  ORANGE COUNTY CLASSIC JAZZ FESTIVAL
OF  AUGUST, 2011
IS OUR FINAL  FESTIVAL
Dear Jazz  Fans:
In June, we decided  to end the Orange County Classic Jazz Festival with
the 2011 event.  Badge  and hotel sales, sponsorships and donations have
declined steadily.  At the  same time, festival costs have risen.

ATTENDANCE
Badge sales  declined 25% over the last two years: guests from California,
down 9% and from  other states, down 30%. We attribute this to the rise in
gasoline and airfare  costs.
This year, we did  sell out the Hilton, but sold only 15 rooms at The Hotel
Hanford versus 62 rooms  in 2010. Overall, hotel sales were down.

SPONSORSHIP  FUNDS
We receive funds  from four sources: a grant from the Costa Mesa Conference
& Visitors Bureau,  a grant from the Hilton/Orange County, vendor
commissions and individual  donations from you.  For 2011, sponsorships were down
33%.

OUR  COSTS
Festival costs are  fixed: bands, advertising, printing, sound.  It does
not matter if 100 or  10,000 people attend.  The costs are the same.
The greatest hit to  our budget has been air travel with marketing costs
close behind.  When  sales drop, these increases impact cash flow even more
so.
Considering growing  expenses, an unstable economy and declining sales, it
is clear to us that we may  well experience a loss in 2012.  The Bakers and
Dieballs do not take  salaries.  In fact, 13 years ago when we began
planning the first festival,  we agreed that it did not matter how much work it
would take as long as we  delivered a first-class festival.  We believe we have
accomplished our  goal.
Please realize, we  work on the festival literally hundreds of hours
year-round, plus we are  unwilling to dip into our personal funds to break even.
We have done the  festival well for 13 years and have decided to end it with
this year.  We  hope you both understand and support our decision.
Those of you who  preordered for 2012 will receive refunds either by return
of your check, or if  you gave us a credit card order, it will not be
processed.
We have had a great  run for 12 years, and we want to thank everyone who
made the Orange County  Classic Jazz Festival one of the finest jazz events in
the world.  We’ll  miss you all.

John  A.  Dieball                              Connie  Baker
                Larry Baker