[Dixielandjazz] harry Allen & Rebecca Kilgore - The music of Marilyn Monroe

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 6 07:55:12 PDT 2011

I knew there was a reason I loved Marilyn Monroe when I first saw her.
<grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Channeling a Bombshell, One Jazzy Note at a Time

NY TIMES - AUG 5 2011 - John Marchese

As a teenager watching old movies on television, Harry Allen heard
Marilyn Monroe speak to him. “I have this thing about saxophone
players,” she said in her famously girlish and breathy style.
“Especially tenor sax.” She added: “All they have to do is play eight
bars of ‘Come To Me, My Melancholy Baby,’ and my spine turns to
custard. I get goose-pimply all over, and I come to ’em.”

Decades after hearing those words Mr. Allen, 44, is a well-established
figure in jazz, performing around the world and recording prolifically
— on tenor sax. “That line,” he said recently, paraphrasing Monroe,
“all a saxophone player has to do is play ‘Melancholy Baby,’ and I’m
his. That made me really want to become a saxophone player.”

The lines come from the 1959 screwball comedy “Some Like It Hot,” in
which Monroe played Sugar Kane Kowalczyk, the singer with an all-
female swing band (all-female, at least, until Jack Lemmon and Tony
Curtis join up disguised as women). In the film Monroe performs
several songs, including a heartfelt rendition of the standard “I’m
Through With Love” and a near-novelty take on “I Wanna Be Loved by
You.” They are part of a body of recorded vocal work she left behind
that some, like Mr. Allen, believe is overlooked and underestimated.

“Obviously,” Mr. Allen said in a phone interview, “she is considered
an icon, but mostly for being maybe the most beautiful and sexiest
woman ever. I’ve always thought that Marilyn Monroe was a really fine
singer. Today she’d be considered one of the best singers around, if
she were here.”

Mr. Allen is such a supporter of Monroe’s music that on Tuesday he
begins a five-night run at Feinstein’s at Loews Regency with a show
titled “Some Like It Hot — The Music of Marilyn Monroe,” featuring his
working quartet joined by the vocalist Rebecca Kilgore. When Mr. Allen
contacted her about the concept, Ms. Kilgore said her first thought
was, “I can’t possibly impersonate Marilyn Monroe.”

Many other performers have mimicked Monroe in various ways, from
Madonna’s music video homage to “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend,”
to drag show performers around the globe. James Franco even gave it
try while hosting this year’s Oscars ceremony. But Ms. Kilgore had
something else in mind.

“I had to get rid of the concept of having to inhabit her persona,”
she said by phone from her home in Portland, Ore., “which is kind of
born from the cabaret world, which I’m not really a part of. I decided
to have fun with the music.”

As she started studying Monroe’s recordings, tracking down movie
soundtrack albums and compilations to prepare for the show, Ms.
Kilgore soon realized that there wasn’t a large collection of
material, fewer than three dozen songs in all. The actress sang in 10
movies, starting with a solo turn on “Anyone Can See I Love You” in
the 1948 film “Ladies of the Chorus” and concluding with several
numbers in “Let’s Make Love,” in 1960, in which Monroe sang duets with
Yves Montand and Frankie Vaughan and stepped out to solo on the title
song and Cole Porter’s “My Heart Belongs to Daddy.” Unsurprisingly,
throughout her film career as a vocalist, the sex appeal seems as
important as the singing.

“That on-screen persona was the only one that I knew,” Ms. Kilgore
said. “Even watching her movies as a young girl I found her sexy, but
not in a threatening way. She was wise, pretending to subjugate
herself to men, but doing it with a wink, as a kind of game she was
playing.” Now, often focusing only on the audio, the singer found
something else in Monroe’s performances.

“It’s absolutely compelling the way she inhabits the material,” Ms.
Kilgore said. “It’s hard to put into words. It’s very mysterious. Some
people sing a song, and it’s pretty, but you never want to listen to
it again. Marilyn just bears repeated listening.”

Garry Giddins, the jazz critic and biographer of Bing Crosby,
performed his own reassessment of Monroe’s musical ability and was
impressed. “She had the same problem as Fred Astaire,” Mr. Giddins
said in a telephone interview. “They were both wonderful singers, but
you don’t think of them as singers. So much of Monroe is the way she
sells the song. You expect her to be second rate, but she never is.”

As Ms. Kilgore began practicing the songs she would include in the
show, she constantly fought the tug toward imitation. “I would find
myself doing that pouty, come-hither wispy style that’s so easy to
imitate,” she said. “I had to keep telling myself that I’m not going
to imitate her. I’m going to do a — quote, unquote — jazz singer’s
interpretation.”

In 1953, as Monroe was preparing for the film “Gentlemen Prefer
Blondes,” which would produce her memorable performance of “Diamonds
Are a Girl’s Best Friend,” she was advised by a musician that repeated
listening to a jazz singer would be the key to her own development as
a singer.

“In the very beginning,” said Hal Schaefer, a jazz pianist, composer
and arranger who was hired as Monroe’s vocal coach, “I told her to buy
Ella Fitzgerald’s recording of Gershwin songs. And I ordered her to
listen to it a hundred times.”

“She wasn’t really into jazz when she came to me,” Mr. Schaefer added,
by phone. “But I told her: ‘Look, I’m going to be your guide. This is
where we have to start: listening to the best female singer there is.’ ”

The actress became a fan of Fitzgerald, and the two women became
friends. In 1955 Monroe persuaded the owner of the Mocambo, a popular
Hollywood nightclub, to lift its policy of not booking black
performers and hire Fitzgerald. Monroe reportedly promised to attend
every performance seated at a front table. Years later Fitzgerald told
Ms. Magazine, “I owe Marilyn Monroe a real debt.”

Monroe’s artistic debt to Fitzgerald is harder to pinpoint. Though the
actress would develop a reputation for being difficult to work with,
often showing up late on set or not at all (she was fired from her
last film for repeated absences), she worked conscientiously on her
singing, Mr. Schaefer remembered. “About 50 percent of what she became
as a singer she had to begin with,” he said. “Her intonation was good,
and her time was good.” Working in a bungalow studio, he would guide
Monroe through exercises to expand her vocal range and to work on
breath control.

When a writer from Collier’s magazine visited Monroe and Mr. Schaefer
at work one day in 1954, the actress told him, “I won’t be satisfied
until people want to hear me sing without looking at me.” But she
quickly added, “Of course, that doesn’t mean I want them to stop
looking.”

Mr. Schaefer became so impressed with his student’s progress, he said,
that he persuaded executives at RCA Victor to record her singing two
songs with nobody but the backup musicians looking at her and no film
performance to pair the vocals with. The 1954 session was not
immediately released. It produced “A Fine Romance,” the Jerome Kern-
Dorothy Fields tune, with a spirited jazz arrangement by Mr. Schaefer
and Monroe swinging in the lower portion of her vocal range. Not Ella,
but headed in that direction.

The B-side was a ballad called “She Acts Like a Woman Should.” On it
Monroe shows a firm command of phrasing and avoids the sexpot styling
that dominates so many of her other recordings. “If you hear the
record now,” Mr. Schaefer said, “there’s no baloney about it. She’s a
real singer with a big band in a studio, not some movie star they’re
trying to pass off as a singer.”

When Ms. Kilgore was surveying Monroe’s work, she was drawn to that
song despite some seriously retrograde lyrics. “I didn’t have any
indelible visual to try to divorce myself from,” she said. “That’s
been the most difficult aspect of preparing for this show. I also like
the performance because it seems to have less of that self-conscious
sex-selling attitude. It’s more natural, honest and very appealing.”
She will perform the song at Feinstein’s.

The one tune that will not be included in Ms. Kilgore’s show is
perhaps Monroe’s most famous singing performance, and her last. In
1962, three months before she died, Monroe appeared at Madison Square
Garden for a party honoring President John F. Kennedy on his 45th
birthday. The jazz pianist Hank Jones, her accompanist that night,
later told an interviewer for NPR that they rehearsed eight hours to
prepare 16 bars of music.

The result, a strange, halting and almost absurdly breathy and
flirtatious performance of “Happy Birthday, Mr. President” seems now
like Monroe doing a parody of herself, and it is often imitated. The
indelible impression left by the 30-second performance goes a long way
toward overshadowing all the solid singing Monroe had done in the
decade before.

So this week at Feinstein’s, as Mr. Allen and Ms. Kilgore salute
Monroe’s music, even if an audience member is celebrating a birthday,
Ms. Kilgore will not sing “Happy Birthday.” But there’s a chance that
Mr. Allen could be persuaded to play eight bars of “Melancholy Baby.”