[Dixielandjazz] Oh Yeah Day in Wilmington Delaware USA

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 5 07:29:44 PDT 2011

We had a great concert at Dravo Plaza on the Wilmington Riverfront.

The music was mostly about Armstrong's All Stars Years and still
recognizable by US audiences these days. We played a two set concert
and had 2 "Oh Yeah'" tags during each set. Audience of about 400-500
really got into it. We prepped them by playing the ending 8 bars to
the songs we were going to tag, and then adding a vocal Oh Yeah from
the band. Then had the audience do it. Then we played the songs during
the set.

During the last set we were getting mass "Oh Yeah's" from the audience
after solos, and at the end of each song, whether tagged or not. When
500 people get involved with the band in an outdoor setting, it is a
lot of fun. We were fortunate to have Sabion Sound of Wilmington
amplify us as there was no way we could have been heard given the size
of the Plaza which was narrow, and long. We had to reach out 100 Yards
to get to the folks at the rear. All of Sabion's sound techs are
musicians. What a concept eh? I sent them a stage plot which they used
to hook up mikes in advance. They were able to set us up and check
sound about 15 minutes after our drummer assembled his kit.

Songs tagged were: What a Wonderful World, Someday You'll Be Sorry,
I'm Confessin and Saints.

Tamas's marketing suggestions are excellent. We used to publish a
newsletter etc. For the first 10 years of our band's existence we
marketed as Tamas suggests. And we grew our audiences and the number
of gigs. Mostly one shot concerts as opposed to club dates. That was
much more profitable as well as very fulfilling.  However as we age,
we are trying to cut back on the number of gigs we do. And so, in
effect, we are demarketing these days and just having fun (albeit
profitably). All we do now is put our schedule on our website and send
monthly announcements to our e-mail list members. Plus direct mail
solicitation to prospective venues every September-October.

What happens now is typified by the event planner at Dravo Plaza. As
the concert got underway, she announced to the crowd that we were
there again by popular request and they roared approval. She also
booked us for next year wondering if we would play on Saturday night
Aug 4. I said we would, if the money was right, but if their budget
for a Saturday program was tight, then put us there on a weekday close
to Aug 4 and we'd do "Oh Yeah" all over again with different songs.

We did get some photos of the event and I will look at them tonight.
Also, someone videotaped the entire event and I  have asked for a copy.

Our next "Oh Yeah"concert is Wednesday August 11 from 6:30 to 8:00 PM.
Bellevue State Park band shell.

Cheers,

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband