[Dixielandjazz] Playing for Change Day

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Aug 2 01:17:29 PDT 2011

Hi Y'All,

A bit along the lines of "Oh Yeah Day," I'd like to bring your attention
to Playing for Change Day, September 17. Playing for Change is an
organization that started with a humble filming of Roger Ridley busking
on the streets of Santa Monica. The video was then augmented with
Grandpa Elliott and Washboard Chaz from New Orleans. Then, off to the
Netherlands and many other points around the world.  Here is that first
video (warning, not jazz, but I think you'll enjoy it) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

Playing for Change has received a great deal of sponsorship to create a
bunch more videos and to open music schools in Third World countries.
Their moto is "we are dedicated to creating positive change through
music & arts education."  Their web site is http://playingforchange.org/

Back to Playing for Change Day, PFC wants to have a fund raising
awareness day and are asking performers from around the world to pledge
a part of the gig pay or door receipts to help out the organization.
They are also asking you send in videos of these performances.

Though, PFC has a tendency towards world music, I thought it would be
cool if trad jazz was represented in the participant list.  If anyone is
interested, here is the link to the event :
http://www.playingforchangeday.org/  I do realize money is tight for
everyone, but I support this organization and hope some of you can help
out too.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson