[Dixielandjazz] Spotify

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Sat Apr 30 11:27:53 PDT 2011

Marek
Spotify is not organized around categories but names. You can of course
search on the word "jazz". Then you get a mishmash of all names of
orchestras or tunes with the word jazz in it. When I make my lists I search
on name for a person or orchestra, for instance just to-day Jabbo Smith.
Then I got all CD recordings available with Jabbo Smith. That was about 250
clips. Many of them are duplicates, three or four of the same tune from a
number of different CD releases. When I then make a play list I organize all
tunes in alphabetic order, by a simple click, and delete all but one good
sound, noise washed clip for my list. I end up with perhaps 30-50 % of the
size of the original number of clips. And what is more amazing. I very often
end up with the complete releases of all recordings made by that particular
musician or orchestra. Of course you do not have to organize the clips. You
can shuffle on all releases with duplicate clips. Or just listen to one
particular tune. Or make a  list of the ones you want to listen to.

For OKOM lowers this list service is a big asset. I am sorry that the
copyright organizations in US has been so resistant toward this future type
of net services. If I should be able to buy all CD´s I currently have on my
playlist I should probably end up in a sum more than $1000. Now I pay for
full grade service @15 a month. That is the maximum sum I invested in CD´s
per month in the past. So I probably pay more over time to the copyright
organization than before. Limited service cost $7 per month. Free service
allows you to listen to a restricted number of clips per week. Remember this
is not a file sharing pirate site but a site where Spotify/you pay all
copyrights by either commercials or subscription fees.

I am confident you will have the service available within this fall in
US/CA.

But Marek is right. You have to know what you are looking for. In a way I
see this service as a compliment to the Redhotjazz site were the search
engine is not working. On Spotify you have that option in many, but not all
possible cases.

No, I have no financial interest in Spotify what so ever. I wish I had. I
should not be surprised if Google or Samsung etc. will buy them in the
future to compete with the i-Tune service.

Ulf Jagfors
Stockholm