[Dixielandjazz] 1919 Rag

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Sat Apr 30 07:48:43 PDT 2011

I checked the Spotify tune site and came up with following recordings which
I of course could listen to, all of them. Unfortunately Spotify has not yet
been able to start it´s service in North America. But it is in process and I
hope for your sake in US/CA that you will be able to use this excellent
service this fall. An agreement seems to have been reach with the copyright
owners which unfortunately slightly restrict the now free five hours
listening per week.

However for a minor sum per month you can have more or less unrestricted,
commercial free access on all your internet and smart phone gadgets. You can
even download a list of your chose for off-line listening per 30 days
period. If Spotify starts this fall in US/CA (sorry I do not know the
situation in AU) it will be much easier for all of us on this list to just
refer to a certain recording and to instantly hear it for anyone interested.
Of course not everything is there, just reissues of old recordings and new
recordings on CD. But we are talking about maybe 10-15.000 recordings of
OKOM jazz and early swing music.

For my personal use I have created a list of about 3.000 old 1920´s
recordings which a let the PC or smart phone shuffle from for just continues
background listening. I have it also accessible in my house and garden in
all FM radios. I use a low power FM transmitter for that function.

Here is the 1919 Rag recordings I found which I think you can buy on CD.
- Kid Ory and His Creole Orch.
- Station Hall Jazz band
- The Dutch Swing College jazz band ( great that they have reissued all
those great early 1950´s recordings)
- Turk Murphy
- Down Town Jazz band
- Marc Reif Orch.(ragtime setting)
- The Stable Roof jazz band
- Franz Jackson´s Original Jass All Star (ragtime setting)
- Bob Helm ( Lu Watters band?)
- Huub Janssen and His Amazing Jazz Band

Ulf Jagfors
Stockholm