[Dixielandjazz] Omer Simeon

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 25 15:36:33 PDT 2011

Jazz-en-Ville at orange.fr asked:
> Who could tell me the name of the astonishing (and very) free trumpet player besides Omer Simeon in "sweet and low down"?

Dear Alain,
I can find no file references to Omer Simeon playing "Sweet and Low Down (Sweet and Lowdown)".
Do you have the correct tune title?
Could it be?

Jabbo Smith's Rhythm Aces.
Jabbo Smith (cnt,vcl) Omer Simeon (cl) Cassino Simpson (p) Ikey Robinson (bj) Hayes Alvis (tu)
Chicago, February 23, 1929
   Sweet and Low Blues

Additional information would be of assistance.
Record details, band name, etc.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Since you joined the DJML I have been wondering.
Are you related to the late Christian de La Simone?
A jazz clarinet player who was the Director of Alliance Française here in Sydney, Australia about twelve years ago.
Also leader of the French jazz band, Les Barbecues.