[Dixielandjazz] Last hurrah

Bob Brodsky rfoxbro at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 13:38:05 PDT 2011

 Dear Listers:

This is my last appeal to push my book, "The World in a Jug" - 'The Lore of New Orleans and Dixieland Jazz'
($15 on Amazon.com/books under Robert F. Brodsky).  Frankly, I'm disappointed that more of you haven't ordered it      -  as it is a well thought out, well written, and well meaning book and gets great reviews from those who have read it.  Well - nuff said - I'm now off on my just finished new 'story' book  "Catch a Rocket Plane" ( title's from "Chicago Woman Blues", Ruby Smith)  which should be available- also on Amazon.com in June or July.

In the meantime, I try to keep the music alive, by putting on shows; as shown below for next month. But, as you in the USA might surmise, I get very few young attendees. At my monthly 'South Bay New Orleans Jazz Club' meetings, out of 50-60 attendees, only 1 or 2 are below age 70 (I'm 86). I say to myself, "Who's going to be here 10 years from now? I don't like the answer I get. There appears to be more interest in trad music by young people in other countries, according to listing inputs I get. I hope its true- tho I wonder of the authenticity of their music? But I do fear that this may just be a memory, like the big band era, in just a few years.

(news release)

Local Author and Music Aficionado Bob Brodsky Brings Dixieland Jazz to the Library
                                                           16th Serenade for Mouldy Figges

Redondo Beach, April 19, 2011: On Tuesday, May 31 from 6:00 to 8:00pm, local author Bob Brodsky will share his knowledge about Dixieland Jazz with the public. His deep love of early jazz is infectious. Join us for a night of music and history as we learn about Dixieland jazz. It promises to be a night of unlocking hidden secrets in music that have inspired every other genre since its discovery. You will hear the work of some of the great Dixieland pioneers and you will see what they looked like and read the words they sang.

 Bob Brodsky has been a lover of Jazz since his teens and was a cornet player in the late 40’s. He first started preaching the gospel in 1975 (First Serenade for Mouldy Figges) at Iowa State University. So far, he has made 4 human converts and a musically-inclined kangaroo. He has written two books on the subject of music including,  Songs My Mother Never Sang to Me, and The World in a Jug (from which this presentation is derived), as well as  'story'  books, On the Cutting Edge, and  A Pilgrim Muddles Through, all of which can be found on Amazon.com / books.

 This is a free program for all ages and will be held in the Meeting Room on the 2nd floor of the Redondo Beach Main Library which is located at 303 N. Pacific Coast Highway in Redondo Beach.  Free parking is available in the lower level garage.

For more information on programs and services at Redondo Beach Public Library, please call (310) 318-0675 or visit www.redondo.org/library

 Brannigan Cheyney
Programs & Outreach Librarian

brannigan.cheney at redondo.org