[Dixielandjazz] A MOVIE REVIEW

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 04:41:45 PDT 2011

..........but don't be alarmed, at least it was a musical.

If anyone saw Bob Fosse's "Star 80"(1983), one might get the impression that
Peter Bogdonavich (while cleverly disguised in the film as Abram Nicholas)
was at least partially responsible for the fact that Playmate Dorothy
Stratton was murdered by her crazed husband Paul Snider

One thing there is no doubt about however is that he was guilty of the
murder of numerous compositons by Cole Porter, one of if not the greatest
lyricists of the 20th century.  Of course, he didn't do this alone.  He was
aided by Burt Reynolds and Cybil Shepherd in "At Long Last Love" (1975)

Not only were their vocals absolutely dreadful, but Bogdonavich chose to
have them sing as the cameras rolled, as opposed to lypsynching to
themselves previously recorded in a studio.

I happened onto it quite by accident at about 345am while flipping
channels.  It was carried by the Fox Movie Channel and if they repeat it, I
would encourage everyone to avoid it if you possibly can.

The principals were assisted by John Hillerman, Madeline Kahn and Eileen
Heckart but none of them really improved things.

I don't know if this movie made it onto the list of the worst ever filmed,
but as far as I'm concerned, it belongs on it right up there with the likes
of "Myra Breckenridge"
Tides
HC
Sex, politics, religion or a bottle of Jack Daniel's
Whatever gets you through the night, baby
                    - Francis Albert Sinatra (1915-1998)