[Dixielandjazz] Whom do you chose

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 20 15:31:30 PDT 2011

Ginny asked whether folks would chose a great player who is hard to
get along with, or a lesser player who makes the gig more pleasant.
Here is my 2 cents.

I learned early in my business and musical careers that to get things
done properly was to build a team that respected each other and worked
together to get the desired result. A mentor told me that no one was
irreplaceable. That in effect a band or team was like a bucket of
water and the prima donna was like a hand in the water. As soon as you
remove the hand, the water fills in the space where it was.

Moral being that if you have an irreplaceable person on your team (or
in your band) who is great but pisses everyone else off,  fire him.
The resulting team will be better for your action and you'll save
yourself a lot of grief.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband