[Dixielandjazz] Social Aspect of Gigs

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Apr 20 09:58:04 PDT 2011

Ginny asks:

> ... how many of you take the personality of your band mates
> into major consideration when putting a  band together.
>
> If you need an instrument and one plays better, but the other
> guy will mean  a more pleasant gig, how do you make the choice?

The basic personnel of the Zinfandel Stompers is set:

* Don Abel, Cornet
* Rick Siverson, Soprano, Alto & Bass Saxes
* Howard Miyata, Trombone & Baritone
* Pat Dutrow, Banjo & Guitar
* Jim O'Briant, Tuba (Leader)

I'm fortunate that Rick, Howard and Pat have played together in various
groups (Royal Society Jazz Orchestra, Churchill Street Jazz Band, Seaside
Syncopators, Hecker Pass All-Stars) over the past 30+ years. They're good
friends and get along well. Don is also very easy going and easy to get
along with.

But Howard has lots of dates committed to the High Sierra Jazz Band, and
he's in our group with the understanding that High Sierra takes precedence
over the Zinfandel Stompers on his calendar. The other guys also have
conflicts from time to time, so your question comes into play only when it's
time to hire a sub, or for gigs where we add piano and/or drums.

In these cases, I try to call the best possible musician to fill the slot
for a day. Most of the people on my "subs" list are folks who not only play
well, but who are professional in demeanor and who don't make waves on the
job. In the four years the Zinfandel Stompers have been together, I've never
hired a sub, or added a pianist or a drummer, whom I would hesitate to call
again for another gig.

There are a small number of players on my "subs" list about whom I might
have reservations about hiring, due to my perception of their personality or
my perception of how they would act on the band stand. If I needed to, I'd
hire them for a gig to see how it goes, and that would determine whether I
might or might not call them again.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader"