[Dixielandjazz] Sacking

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Apr 19 13:45:51 PDT 2011

In many bands the first one to go is the Clarinet player but the real point
is, do you have a hobby band or do you have a pro band.  I have never in my
life considered myself to be the exclusive property of any band.  I have
played long term with several bands but that doesn't mean that at any minute
they might not hire me for a gig or someone else.  That happened last
Christmas because the leader needed a sax section with strong flutes.  No
heartburn.  It would have been nice but to go there and do a marginal job
just wouldn't work for me.

I do know a couple of leaders including myself who reach into the kitty when
a gig is light, to pay that person that might not have a gig or to keep him
interested or whatever.  Obviously no one can continue that for very long.

It depends on the attitude of the players.  Some are very needy and look on
every gig as a small war and a personal slight if you don't hire them for a
gig.  I know a couple of band leaders that are that way and I prefer to not
work for them.  That's made easy for me because I think their band's are
poor in the first place.  There are also two bands that I don't play with
because they just don't pay well.  Those two band leaders are guys that are
good personal friends and don't hold it against me.

My two very best friends are band leaders and while it doesn't happen often
they don't use me for a gig.  That's their business and they have their
reasons.  One of them I rarely hire but he's a pro and knows the ropes.

If you need loyalty and a steady thing then I suggest a community or hobby
band.

When I talk about musicians that are needy I will refer you to the movie
"The Gig".  The character that played the clarinet player was that way and I
know guys that are that way.  About 5 years ago I walked into a gig and the
singer very loudly and quite publically demanded to know why I wasn't using
her any more.  The real answer was I didn't have any gigs that she would fit
into.  The real answer after that was, I don't need this.
Larry
St.L