[Dixielandjazz] Jazz In NYC

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:19:51 PDT 2011

Hello Bob,

> Is Jazz (OKOM) coming back in NYC?
>
> Naw.  Some of the gigs mentioned have been there for years.  Others come and go.

True.  But there seem to be more than in the mid-1990's.

> Note that there are no bands playing OKOM 5 or 6-nights a week like in the old days.

The old days are gone.  But there are new audiences and young bands.
Only the young audiences have more catholic tastes, and will accept
both OKOM (of all kinds) and modern, and pop.

> Let's face it folks.  While there are some Swing Dances around, we play them out here on the left coast, the steady gigs, ones that you can make a living at are just not there any longer.

Perhaps.  But there are gigs.  And bands should reach out to new
audiences - they WILL NOT search for bands they don't know.

> Sure, some of the guys in NY work pretty steady.  But they free-lance all over the place just waiting for a profitable tour or that one gig a year that pays very well.

> When I started playing OKOM, the Jazz age was 30 years away.  Now it is 90 years away.  We are playing museum music.

Jazz age is long gone.  But jazz was quite widespread in the 1950's
and sixties.  In the UK, trad, with all its deficiencies, was probably
THE popular music in the 1960's.  And people danced to it.  And young
people do dance to traditional jazz when given a chance.

> It will never come back.

No, it probably won't.  But Baroque is not around the corner either,
and there still is an udience for Baroque music.  And there is an
audience for jazz.  After all, when you started, most "jazz age"
people did not go and listen to jazz anymore.  It was new audiences
that listened and danced to all those jazz bands that seemed to be
everywhere.
Besides, "never" is a very long time.
Cheers