[Dixielandjazz] Ray Charles

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 7 16:05:44 PDT 2011

I have somewhere a tape of the Humphrey Lyttelton radio show from one of the
evenings on which he had as a holiday replacement Dick Wellstood, and Dick
included in his programme Ray Charles.

The young Charles was an interesting musician, before anybody called him Genius
and the money started talking and the more expensive productions began. He had a
relaxed often loping delivery which can certainly be traced back to Texan and
New Orleans musical influences in California.

The very early recordings -- on the piano, guitar, bass model pioneered by
Clarence Profit -- display a remarkable command of rhythm, swing and phrasing.
Timing.  I feel quite relaxed even just talking about it.

Professor Wellstride certainly had the relaxation, wtiness the glorious
performance of 'The Entertainer' expressing the pianist's weariness with the
number Holding back the beat until next week....