[Dixielandjazz] Ray Charles reviewed

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:05:13 PDT 2011

Many yeas ago I told a friend that I had acquired a Ray Charles LP,
and the inevirable reply was "have you lost your mind?"
What I did not tell him was that there were no vocals, and Charles
played the alto saxophone!
What might surprise many is that I've bought that record on the
recommendation of no other than Rudi Blesh - no, not in person, but in
a revised edition of "Shining Trumpets."  Ray Charles is paired there
with Milt Jackson.
I still have the LP (I bought the other volume as well, but have given
it to a friend whao wanted it so very much!).

Cheers