[Dixielandjazz] good read

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon Apr 4 21:10:38 PDT 2011

On 4/4/2011 11:13 AM, Judi K wrote:
> just a reminder that Max Morath's latest book is out.  He wrote about the
> life of Carrie Jacob Bond, a lady who started her own music publishing
> company--- 'way before women were a part of the business world.  It's a
> delightful read, and called  "I Love You Truly",  the title of the famous
> song she wrote.
>
> Another is an older book, as delightful as "The Gig"... in parts, and a
> thoroughly fun read of pianist Don Asher's experiences in the music world.
> I hope everyone will take a look into these two works of art and enjoy them
> as much as I did.  Don's book is called  "Notes from a Battered
> Grand".......loved it!
>
> Thanks, everyone!

Nice mention of Max's book. In case you might not know, Max and I were
fraternity brothers from Colorado College. Saw him last in Duluth and
had lunch with him and my wife Jean.
Max is a few years older than I am but hung around the Beta House a lot
and we started to gig a little in the Colorado Spring area -  this Ca:
1950-51 before I transferred to Michigan State. Another by the way -
Joan Reynolds and I sang in a vocal group there are MSU and she has had
a great run with her Red Rose Jazz Band. Talented Lady, from Norway, MI
in the U.P.
Recently played  a tape of Jim and I with Wayne Jones, Kim Cusack and
others at a jazz club session in Chicago in the mid 90's a couple years
before Jimmy passed. Jim and I shared some great years at the old Jazz
Ltd. house band in Chicago and so news of his passing was a real downer
for me. I did have a chance to talk to him in his last days by phone
before he passed.
Keep singing, Judi, you know that territory as good as any.
Regards,
Don
ingle