[Dixielandjazz] Excerpts from SBNOJC April 2011 "BLUE NOTE"

Bob Brodsky rfoxbro at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 13:14:16 PDT 2011

                              OKOM FANS:
HERE ARE EXCERPTS FROMTHE APRIL "BLUE NOTE"

- THE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER OF THE SOUTH BAY NEW ORLEANS JAZZ CLUB - REDONDO BEACH

PROGRAM

APRIL  10, 2011
THE PRESIDENT’SJAZZ  BAND

MAY 8, 2011
RICHARD SIMON'S   JAZZ AMERICA

JUNE 12, 2011
ALAN SHELTON'S    ROYAL GARDENS JAZZ BAND

                    THE PRESIDENTSJAZZ BAND -  FEATURED IN APRIL 2011

Paul Goldman, President of SBNOJC, has assembled a group of extremely talented musicians to play traditional jazz for the Aprilfeatured set. The band recently performed as the feature band atSPDJto rave reviews. This outstanding band includes: BarryAnthony – Trumpet,Kurt Feistinger – Clarinet,Mike Stubbs – Trombone, Roberto Pasquariello – Piano, C J Sams – Tuba, TomPendergast – Banjo andPaul Goldman – Drums.! Don’tmiss this high energy jazz band at SBNOJC in April.

MUSICIANS  MARCH2011

                                                        SBNOJC was fortunateto have the following musicians in MARCH
Bob Allen, Barry Anthony,CJ Sams, Larry Cosgrove, Bob Downum, Paul Goldman

                                              Jerry Goodman, Jimmy Green, Judi Haase,Pete Kier,Tom Man,Bill Mitchell,John Norton, Roberto Pasquariello
                                                  Louie Pastor, Jerry Rothschild, Luis Schellaci, Ray Siegele, David Stanton, Jay
Stock, Mike Stubbs,Tank Tanaka, Richard Tucker, Bob White, Jack
                                                       Widmark, Lucky Wright

                                                                                  MARCH 2011 FEATURE BAND JERRYROTHSCHILD’S RAGTIMERS

Jerry put togetheran excellent group of musicians as follows: Jerry
Rothschild - leader and piano, CJ Sams - cornet and vocals,Jay Stock
- clarinet,Louis Pastor - drums, Jimmy Green - banjo and Pete Kier -
string bass. Jerry selected an array of fun and very traditional songs
for this group, As advertised, the band was exciting and entertaining.
The Ragtimers performed with a high level of musicianship and
cooperation and as a result produced well-knit swinging cohesive
sound together. In short, the set was terrific. Thanks to all for a great
job!

FROM THE PRESIDENT

     HELP PLAN 50th Birthday, 2012
Anita Gold, SBNOJCTreasurer, is spearheading our 50th eventandcould use some ideas and help with the planningand execution ofthe anniversary. If you are interested in helping, contact Anita at 949-
770-4690. Help make it a great celebration.

        SPONSOR  A BAND
We are always looking for ways to make your club more profitable.One  way   is  to help  sponsor one of the  feature bands  that are scheduled at SBNOJC during  the year.  Sponsorships help  offsetsomeof the expensesof bringing  quality bands to SBNOJC. Yoursponsorship will contribute to the successof the club and you may enjoy a tax deduction at the sametime.
For a sponsorship of $25, $50,  $75 or $100, you  will receiverecognition in the Blue Note as a band sponsor and be mentionedas a feature band sponsor  at the  session  that  the band  appears.  Judi Haase  is a sponsor of the Night Blooming Jazzmen.
Bands available for  sponsorship  this year  are: Royale Garden DixielandJazz Band – June 12, Coyote Hills Jazz Band – October9, Night Blooming Jazzmen – December11.
To discuss details of sponsorships that are right for you, contactPaul  Goldman               at goldperson51 at yahoo.com  or   310-293-2910. Thanks for your support.

              BLUE NOTE BY E-MAIL
Don’t forget to let us know if you want to receive the Blue Noteviae-mail.

Remembering Rosy
By Dick Craven
  On April 17, Jazz Forum is holding its 6th Annual Tribute to Rosy McHargueat the Beverly Hills Women’s Club.  Many of our readers probably know who Rosy McHargue was, but some newer members may wonder why the tribute to a man who died a dozen years ago.
James Eugene “Rosy” McHargue was more than an an accomplished musician, he was an entertainer who enrichedthe Los Angelesjazz scene forover fifty years—from1943 until his death in April, 1999. In fact, Rosy was still playing his saxophone and singing obscurehits of the ‘20s and ‘30s a week before he died.
Born in Danville, Illinois, in 1902, McHargue taught himself to play the clarinet after hearing Larry Shieldsand the Original Dixieland Jass Band recordings of  “Livery Stable Blues” and “The Original Dixieland One Step .”  Adding   the C Melody sax,  he joined other Danville musiciansin the Novelty Syncopators,adding vocals to his repertoire.  One of the tunes the Syncopators did was a Hawaiian novelty called ‘When Rosy RiccolloDo Da Hoola Ma Boola.’  His renditionof the lyrics to the tune earned him the nicknamed Rosy, and from then on he was Rosy McHargue.
Moving on, Rosy next played with Roy Shoenbeck’s orchestra, Sig Myers’band in Chicago, and then the Seattle Harmony Kings, where he replaced Benny Goodman.  While with the HarmonyKings he recorded“Breezin” Along With TheBreeze,” playing alto and baritonesaxophones.  Rosyalso recorded with FrankieTrumbauer’s orchestra in 1931 and joined Ted Weems band in 1934, where his roommate was a young Perry Como.  Rosywrote the arrangement for “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now,” a tune which became a big hit for Weems and Como.
By 1942 Rosy was tired of being on the road, and with WWII limiting roadtravel for big bands, he settled in Los Angeles, where he remained for the rest of his life.Here he worked with Eddie Miller, with Goodman’s band, and with Pee Wee Huntand Red Nichols, including recordingthe  clarinet solo on Hunt’s 1948  “12th Street Rag.”
In the 1950s Rosie organizedRosy McHargue’s Ragtimers,  and for the next
47 yearsperformed at The Hangover Club in Hollywood, The Cottage in Pasadena,Marineland in  Palos Verdes,and Sterling’s Steakhouse  in Santa Monica.
In 1997 The New Orleans Jazz Club Of Southern California  honored Rosy withhis 95th birthdayparty, the start of the tradition that Jazz Forum is repeating on April 17.  Among the tributes on that 95th Birthday was a letter  from fellowsaxophonist Bill Clinton.
Earlier I said that Rosy was “more than a musician, he was an entertainer.”Proof of his musicianship can be found on his many records,and on the Internet’s
You Tube, where several videos of Rosy and of Pete Daily’s band can be found.Proof of his influence on musicians can be found at the Jazz Forum’sTribute to Rosy, where many musicians whom Rosy influenced will be playing.  And forproof of his Rosy’s vocal stylings, I can only print the verse of one of the many obscure tunes that Rosy always enjoyed sharing with his audience,  one which will probably be heard at the April 17th Tribute:

When The War Breaks Out In Mexico, I’m Gonna  Go To  Montreal!
Brandon Walsh (lyricist) -   Ernest Breuer (composer)
Oh, , when the war breaks out in Mexico,I'm a gonna go to Montreal.
I got a 42nd cousin up in Canada,
and it's time I paid a friendly ca-a-all.
So I'll pack my grip for the farewell trip, and from the states I'll go-wah-oh.
When the war breaks out in Mexico, I'm a gonna go to Montree—

You'll love it up in Montree— Climate's nice in Montreal.

call or email Paul Goldman for details

               CLUB BOARD OF DIRECTORS

           President                      Paul Goldman            310 293 2910
& Blue Note Assist.      goldperson51 at yahoo.com
Vice President            Jerry Goodman            310 320 0009
Treasurer                    Anita Gold                    949 770 4690
Secretary                    Bob Brodsky                310 937 1811
& Historian                 rfoxbro at aol.com
Blue Note Editor         Pete Kier                      310 397 6616
& Music Director        petekier at aol.com

Assist. Music Dir.

Earl Newton

310 829 9789