[Dixielandjazz] "If Dreams Come True"

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Sun Apr 3 17:06:07 PDT 2011

I agree with everything Steve said in his post (excerpt included) and then
some-- he forgot to include "elegant."  I received mine last week, and have
listened repeatedly (as I tend to do with anything Tim plays.  We've
followed him for 20+ years.)

All personnel on this CD are absolutely top shelf at all times.

Jane Lynch

Janie39 at socal.rr.com

I recently acquired a GREAT new CD, just released by New Orleans
clarinetist Tim Laughlin. Can't stop listening to it. The title; "If
Dreams Come True" is aptly descriptive. It features the superb trumpet
of Connie Jones who Tim planned to record, but wanted Connie to play
with a rhythm section of his choice. So when Connie named pianist Dan
Sheridan, bassist Ed Wise, Guitarist Larry Scala and drummer Danny
Coots as his dream rhythm section, Tim arranged this recording session
with them, Connie on trumpet, and himself on clarinet.

Tim is one of my favorite jazz clarinetists, and in my opinion, the
music on this CD is SUPERB. Not overly arranged, plenty of solo room
for these wonderful players and it swings its ass off. Tim is in fine
form, beautiful tone, the essence of current New Orleans clarinet.
Connie, who is featured on the album, is a one of a kind player and
vocalist. John Sheridan? What can I add to what has already been said
about his genius? Danny Coots is a drummer who listens and musically
adds to the conversation. Larry Scala's guitar keeps the pulse going
while adding his own words. Lastly, Ed Wise is one of the premier
bassists in jazz, OKOM and other genres. He has been a friend of mine
since he relocated to Philadelphia from New Orleans and is superb. He,
along with his rhythm section mates, lays down a swinging groove that
is hard to top these days.

The music is difficult to categorize. Is it New Orleans? Dixieland?
Small Band Swing?  Who cares? What counts is that it is swinging OKOM,
by a great band.