[Dixielandjazz] Wynton Marsalis

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 07:41:05 PDT 2011

Below is an excerpt from a NY Times article today about Wynton Marsalis.

"He’s among the precious few jazz instrumentalists — let alone
trumpeters — capable of conveying relatable emotion through the hard
lens of virtuosity. Again and again he focused the energies in the
room with a single phrase or, thrillingly, an unpredictable stream of
them. On “The Majesty of the Blues,” which opened the second half, he
used a plunger mute to fashion a manifesto of guttural growls and high
trills. “Sparks,” an uptempo blues featured on an I-Pod Commercial,
had him breezing through an eighth-note slalom, like the young Clark
Terry."

To hear an interesting version of him and a big band doing Jelly Roll
Morton's Black Bottom Stomp go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n415tQQCWs&feature=related

Or if you prefer to hear that I-pod commercial go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XX4SXnTw60

Interesting that Apple would feature jazz, which supposedly has no
audience, on a commercial for I-Pod.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband