[Dixielandjazz] ROBERT WALTRIP SHORT

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 06:23:41 PDT 2011

And I was not previously aware of his middle name until you announced it
this  morning.

While playing a few selections by him, you made mention of his appearance in
"Hannah & Her Sisters".  If I remember correctly, that segment was filmed at
the Cafe Carlyle and I was  very disappointed when Bobby was cut off midway
through a song.

A friend in Bethlehem, PA who is also a big fan of his, sent me an e-mail
awhile back telling me to look for him in a rather quirky movie entitled
"Man of the Century" (1999)  Again, I thought I was going to be disappointed
when I only saw him as an attendant in a mens' room giving out towels.

Fortunately, I stayed with it till the end as in the film's finale, he
brought the house down with a rousing  rendition of "Nagasaki".

I have repeatedly watched an episode of "In the Heat of the Night" which I
taped many years ago that was called "Ches and the Grand Lady".in which
Bobby played Ches,, of all things a night club singer/pianist and Jean
Simmons was the "grand lady"in a very touching story

I have been saying for many years "God gave us Cole Porter to write the
greatest lyrics of all time and then he gave us Bobby Short to interpret
them".  He's got to be my favorite, after Sinatra.of course.

Harry

--
Didja evah wonder why there are more horses' asses than there are
horses?