[Dixielandjazz] tuba, bass sax etc.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 07:46:15 PDT 2010

Dear Bill:

You do indeed stir the pot. There are indeed many inconsistencies
which cannot be reconciled without a time machine. From the other side
of the coin:

1) If Oliver did not actually use a string bass, why do his publicity
photos include one?

Perhaps he did in live performance, but was unhappy with the way it
recorded and so switched to the instruments you mention when recording
in 1923.

2) Friars and NORK do indeed use s sting bass on early recordings.

Perhaps they were happy with the recorded sound they got. Also since
NORK was self admittedly trying to copy the black bands of the day,
their use of string bass would imply that black bands used a string
bass in live performance.

3) Johnson's string bass was indeed powerful as demonstrated on the
Dodd's record you cite.

However, bear in mind that the record was made in 1926 after recording
technology had changed and string bass sounds were now able to be
recorded much more accurately.

4) Luter did not use a string bass.

He was trying to reprise what Oliver sounded like, with only the
recorded output as a guide. Since Oliver had not recorded with a
string bass, Luter did likewise. I agree with you that Luter comes
closest to the Oliver CJB sound as recorded. But I also think it is
quite possible he fell into the trap that we all do when listening to
early recorded music. Specifically, that what is on record accurately
reflects how the band sounded in live performance, unhampered by
technical restrictions..

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreet