[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Musicians' Union

Sue Fischer Loerchen2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 07:28:30 PDT 2010

Sorry to disillusion you, but there is only one New Orleans musicians' union
at this time -- AFM Local 174-496.  Deacon John Moore is our President.

Sue

Until I read the LA Times article, I wasn't aware of his activities In the
civil rights area.  Apparently he was one of the leaders in getting the
Musicians Union to consolidate their membership after WWII.  An interesting
historical note, there are still two Musicians Unions in New Orleans, I am
told.  This by mutual agreement.  I'm told further that foreign musicians
who immigrate to New Orleans to experience the music almost universally
chose to join the formerly Black  Musicians union.  Likely some scholar
and/or New Orleans musician would like to educate us further on this.