[Dixielandjazz] Tuba - Double Bass - Bass Sax

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 09:06:40 PDT 2010

My two cents:

Vince Giordano plays Tuba, String Bass and Bass Sax. He brings them
all on many gigs and switches around. All the while playing tunes from
the 20s and 30s.

By the same token, Miles Davis used tuba in some of his cool jazz
efforts.

So, Captain Bass, bring both the upright and the tuba. On gigs which
you might lead, play which ever one you feel like. On other gigs, you
might defer to the leader for choice.

Don't worry about the nay sayers who want to limit what YOU feel.
After all, when Lu Watters et al, reprised the Oliver arrangements,
they used tuba and two beat where Oliver used string bass and 4 beat.
BOTH WORK.

In my band, at times we have used both, while playing a 4/4 Condon
Swing style of Dixieland. So, I urge you not to worry about "rules"
which others would make for you, or even how your posts are perceived
by others.

My advice DO YOUR OWN THING. If some folks don't like what you play,
or don't like how to write, ignore them. They are inconsequential, and
they neither have to listen to your music or read what you write.

IMO, it's wonderful that you play both and if the spirit moves you,
learn bass sax. All three instruments can be played in either 2 beat
or 4 beat style quite effectively.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone