[Dixielandjazz] Goodman/Miranda Paducah

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 26 14:47:33 PDT 2010

eupher dude asked regarding:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjfpvUOVTQU&feature=player_embedded#!
> who can name all of this  band?  It's strange to see a bass sax played behind a front, but I guess it
> happened more than just this.

Dear Steve,
Here they are:
Benny Goodman And His Orchestra.
Carmen Miranda, Benny Goodman (cl/vcl) Lee Castle, Harold Peppie, Bobby Guyer (t) Charlie Castaldo, Miff Mole (tb) Hymie Schertzer, Leonard Kaye (as) Jon Walton, Bob Taylor* (ts) Joe Rushton (bassax) Jess Stacy (p) Bart Roth (g) Gus Van Camp (sb) Louie Bellson (d) Eddie Sauter (arranger) augmented by a latin-style group.
    Hollywood, late March/early April, 1943.
*Eddie Miller (ts) recorded the soundtrack solos but Bob Taylor appears on screen.

"Paducah" from the Busby Berkeley feature film 'The Gang's All Here'.

> What about the sidemen in these situations--were they well paid; was it an enjoyable experience for them?  Were they playing live, or syncing with a recording?

The soundtrack was recorded in a studio and the orchestra synced with it on the film set.
I also believe that the musicians (except BG) would have received standard union rates for the session plus an extra fee for on-screen appearances.
I'm also sure that most of them would have enjoyed the experience.
Trivia: During filming Benny's daughter, Rachel, was born. She who was later to be immortalised by Benny's tune "Rachel's Dream"
Very kind regards,
Bill.