[Dixielandjazz] JazzTimes interview with Terry Teachout, Armstrong biographer

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Sep 23 07:52:20 PDT 2010

To:  DJML, Musicians and Jazzfans list, Pensacola Mencken list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Here's link to JazzTimes interview with Terry Teachout, biographer of Louis
Armstrong.  Teachout was an active bassist in Kansas City late 70s-80s.  Now
he's writer in NYC.  Writes for Wall Street Journal among others.

I'm also sending this to the Pensacola Mencken list because Teachout wrote a
biography of H. L. Mencken.  I had hoped that Teachout would be a speaker at
the Armstrong Conference ( Satchmo Summerfest) in New Orleans this August.
I was told that he was invited but his schedule couldn't accommodate.

Teachout, I understand has written libretto for an opera, but that wasn't
mentioned in the JazzTimes article.

They did touch on the fact that Teachout, being a professional musician,
could write with a certain authority and background which non-musicians
lack.

It's a bit too long to send the entire  article, so I'm sending you the
link:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/26271-terry-teachout-the-balance-between-schol
arship-readability

--End--