[Dixielandjazz] Lead sheet idea (was "additional posting.")

Craig Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Wed Sep 22 12:49:11 PDT 2010

Tony,
The ipad or kindle idea is great. although I'd have to see how to create the
kindle format from (say) a pdf.

However your starting point (playable e-music) won't work.
The (audio) e-music or ipod formats a (e.g. mp3) are for actuallly playing a melody (all parts).
It is not suitable for annotating the actual printed music as in a lead sheet.
Conversion from one to the other is really beyond the technology at present.
It stilll requires a human being in between to recognize the notes and chords.

There are programs for sale on the web that claim to convert (e.g.mp3) to written
notation, but I've tried them and they are far from ready for prime time. Don't waste
your money or time on these.

Unless you are really good at transcribing by ear, the appropriate starting point is
the sheet music or another lead sheet. --- puting them into one of the annotation
programs like Finale, Sibelius, Encore, Band-in-a Box, Magicscore, Forte, ..........

On the otherhand, Al Levy, Dave Littlefield and I have each created a large number of
 easily readable  lead sheets which any of us would be happy to sell to you. I say sell
because the creation of these in formats that can be easily printed and/ or transposed
take quite a bit of work, testing and the use of equipment which costs   $$.

Craig Johnson
"The  Maine Street Paraders"