[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays Sept 20

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 09:52:17 PDT 2010

Possibly in his native England, but I never thought that Johnny Dankworth
received all the recognition he deserved in this country.

I first became acquainted with him via a 45 he made called "Experiments With
Mice" upon which he narrated the saga of 3 Blind Mice as if they were
orchestra leaders.  During the course of the record, his band imitated Glenn
Miller, Benny Goodman, Gerry Mulligan, Sauter-Finegan and Stan Kenton, who
he said "frightened the mice away"

I have several of his albums, one in particular has him conducting the
Rochester (NY) Philharmonic Orchestra in a tribute to Duke Ellington
Featured on trumpet was Barrie Lee Hall, who went on to conduct the
Ellington orchestra following Mercer's death

And of course, he was married to and conducted the orchestra behind British
songstress Cleo Laine.  He passed away sometime within the past year,
possibly around the age of 82

Tides,
HC