[Dixielandjazz] Irving Berlin's piano

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 11:00:05 PDT 2010

John Pizzarelli (son of Bucky) besides being a better than average singer
and excellent guitarist like his Dad, is quite the story teller.

On the 10th anniversary of the John Pizzarelli Trio at NY's Birdland, in
2003, he told of a time when he and his brother Martin (bass) and Ray
Kennedy (piano) were performing somewhere in the nation's capitol

He said that they took a time out to do some sightseeing and in addition to
the usual Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, etc. dropped in at the
Library of Congress.

On display there was a piano that had once belonged to George Gershwin only
protected from the public by a velvet rope.

Ray slipped under the rope and went and sat down at the piano and was about
to play when a security guard came along and started yelling at him to get
out.

John said that he explained to the guard that Ray wasn't just some tourist
but a professional musician and asked him to please let him play, if only
briefly.

The guard relented and Ray tickled the ivories for a bit.

Then, as he was getting up from the piano, a voice came from out of
nowhere'  "Say, do you happen to know "I Got Rhythm"?

I wasn't at Birdland that night.........I just have the CD

Tides
HC