[Dixielandjazz] Kay Starr

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 14:10:32 PDT 2010

Thanx for that info, Stan

While her first hit and possibly best seller was "Wheel of Fortune" (a cover
of an earlier rendition by Sunny Gale), my favorite Kay Starr number remains
to be "If You Love Me" (Really Love Me) a tune penned by Edith Piaf, which I
understand followed some tragic personal loss that the "Little Sparrow" had
suffered.

Capitol had initially been plugging the reverse side, "The Man Upstairs" but
soon the flipside ended up receiving all of the attention and I believe that
it climbed pretty high on the Billboard and Cashbox charts

Incidentally, I have determined that the Liberty LP I referred to earlier is
available online in CD format for anyone interested.  However, I would have
no way of knowing under what title the one you mention here was issued.   I
did discover that she at one time also recorded an album with Count Basie

Harry
(still wringing the humidity out of my socks down here in Houston, TX)..