[Dixielandjazz] Left Handed Trombone

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 12:36:35 PDT 2010

> Bob Brodsky <rfoxbro at aol.com> wrote
>
> Last week, for the first time in my 85 years, I saw a left handed
> slide trombone player!  Did he need a special instrument or do
> regular trombones allow adjustment by rotation?  Only trombone
> players reply please - I want to get it right.  bob b

Dear Bob:

I'm not answering because I don't play trombone. Just want to point
our that Slide Hampton, about 79 or 80, played the slide trombone left
handed from the 1940s on. Of course, being a mouldy fig, you may never
have heard or seen Slide Hampton. <grin>

He played with Lionel Hampton, Woody Herman, Maynard Ferguson, Barry
Harris and a whole bunch of other bands besides his own. He also
taught at Harvard, UMass, DePaul, and Indiania State. He is an NEA
recognized jazz master and won a couple of Grammys.. Etc., etc., etc.

I believe he is still alive. See him below with a bunch of right
handed trombone players. (He's the lefty <grin>)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6P-Azn893Y

or in a small group with some Italian jazzers at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5XV8oGr7M&feature=related

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband