[Dixielandjazz] Sept. BLUE NOTE - SBNOJC

Bob Brodsky rfoxbro at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 16:47:16 PDT 2010

Listers:

The "Blue Note" is the (Redondo Beach) South Bay New Orleans Jazz Club's monthly mailer. We are in the process of building a site that you will be able to access it. In the meantime, I've cobbled up excerpts from the September '10 issue - just out.  I'm sorry about the quality, but it's the best I can do with my limited skills.
In the meantime, don't forget to rush to Amazon.com/books to get your copy of my book, "The World in a Jug":   Bob b

The Cover of "Blue Note" should appear here, but it takes up too much space.To Summarize:

Sept 12 - Gene Marklevitz- Coyote Hills
Oct 10 - Alan Shelton's Royal Garden
Nov 15 Bill Key's  "The Keysters"
    Meets 2nd Sunday Monthly  1:00 - 5:00
     Knights of Columbus Hall- 310 397 6616
     214 Avenue 'I'
     Redondo Beach

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

President                       Paul Goldman                   310 293 2910
& Blue Note Assist.    goldperson51 at yahoo.com
Vice President                Jerry Goodman               310 320 0009
Treasurer                       Anita Gold                       949 770 4690
Secretary                       Bob Brodsky                   310 937 1811

& Historian

rfoxbro at aol.com

Blue Note Editor

Pete Kier

310 397 6616

& Music Director      petekier at aol.com

Assist. Music Dir.          Earl      Newton

310 829      9789

General Consultant         Bob Allen

323 291 5686

Publicity & Promo         Bob White

310 376 2591

Raffle Tickets                Yvonne Mitchell

714 528 1534

\Snack Table             Polly Goodmman     310 320 0009

\

\(Past President)   Larry Cosgrove            310 645 9361
Raffle Prizes                  Ann Norton                     310 831 3525

A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

There has been many articles written concerning the lack of young people playing Dixieland jazz (OKOM). There is even a shortageof that same group who attend festivals and concerts.If our kind of music is tosurvive, we all need to be ambassadors and make theyounger generation aware of the music.

In past articles, I have mentioned “Bring a Friend.”Not only bring an adult, but bring a teenager or older to make them aware of thetraditional jazz.  Unfortunately, this music is not heard by youngpeople. Also mention our  sessions to your swing dancer friends.There is a strong movement to swing dancing these days. These dancers would love our kind of music. The Jazz  club is a greatvenue for music and dancing.

Besidesbeing an ambassador for the  music, keep your ears andeyes peeled for young talent.Last year I wrote about “passing the torch” and about the  scholarships that  SBNOJC have given tostudents interested in perpetuating trad jazz. We wantto continue this practice. If you know a person that might fit our scholarship requirements make sure you contactone of the Boardof Directors or email me at goldperson51 at yahoo.com.

We  are always  on  the lookout for worthy students  that are interested inDixieland Jazz.
Let’s keep jazz alive.

Paul Goldman –President SBNOJCgoldperson51 at yahoo.com

MUSICIANS  JUNE2010

SBNOJC was fortunate to have the following musicians in August
Bob Allen, Larry Cosgrove, Pete Dawson, Bob Downum, Dave Eberlein,
Jerry Goodman, Jim Gordon, Jimmy Green, Judi Haase, John Hockins,
Thomas Mann, Gene Marklevitz, Cary Marshall, Bill Mitchell, David
Newton, Roberto Pasquariello, Jerry Rothschild, Luis Shillaci, Dave
Stanton, Richard Tucker, Jack Widmark, Bob White, Lucky Wright

FEATURE BAND FOR AUGUST, 2010
RAY SIEGELE &THE CHOSEN ONES

Ray Siegele, leader and banjoist stepped up to the call and managed tobring most of the well-known Revelation Jazz Band for our feature setinAugust. The band included: John Hockins - cornet,Dave Eberlein - tbn, Cary Marshall - drums, Jim Gordon - pno, Bob White - tuba , and
Cory Gemme - clarinet. This fine group of musicians turned out one ofthebest performances of the year. They received many complimentsfromthe grateful members who were present. Our thanks to eachmember of this fine group for their fine performance