[Dixielandjazz] "S'il vous plaît"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 7 02:20:09 PDT 2010

Ingemar Wågerman wrote:
> The tune "S'il vous plaît" is played by many N.O. Revival bands. Who composed it? Interested in all info about the tune!

Dear Ingemar,
I hesitate to mention the names on the DJML but, in 1949, pianist John Lewis composed a tune called "S'il vous plait" which was recorded at the time by Miles Davis. (Refer to the Capitol 'Birth of The Cool' live sessions.)
Whether this was the same one recorded by Kid Thomas Valentine in 1960 and Geoff Bull with Tommy Sancton at Ascona in 1991 I do not know.
However, I have just spoken to Geoff who said that the Kid Thomas tune is similar/same as a 1930-40s song called "Pretending", which Melbourne (Australia) trombonist Hugh Rosayro has on an English recording sung by a well-known West Indian vocalist. We will need to check with Hughie for details.
Very kind regards,
Bill..