[Dixielandjazz] Musicians credits in movies

Musicmemry at aol.com Musicmemry at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 21:35:51 PDT 2010

There are two basic reasons that musicians are not generally credited in
films. The main reason is that in most cases the musicians on the  soundtrack
are employed for a very few days; contrast this with  writers / actors /
directors / film technicians etc. who are attached to the  production for
weeks or months.
This does not apply to musicians who appear on camera or who are heavily
featured throughout the film; they usually do receive credit. Directors  such
as Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen often credit the musicians.
In more common instances, when a symphonic orchestra or large big band
record a score, the studio musicians used may differ from day to day, making
crediting even more complicated.
The second reason, and the real bottom line in this issue, is that the AFM
(musician's union) has yet to demand that all musicians performing on a
film  soundtrack receive credit. I have not been part of those particular
negotiations, but it is likely that the AFM does trade screen credit for better
pay and benefits; while it's certainly nice to be recognized, I don't think
 most of the musicians who rely on this type of work for a living have a
big  problem with it.
As a movie goer, I would love to see all the musicians listed! The concept
of listing every single person who did anything on a film and then not
recognizing the players does seem odd.
Randy Morris